A Roti is a type of pancake filled with curry, or used as bread to mop up all the curry juices. It is similar to a tortilla but more flavorful. Roti may be used as a wrapper for lamb or vegetarian curries to make a South African version of the burrito.
I hope you enjoy this simply, quick and delicious roti recipe.
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoon oil
enough water to form a soft dough
1 cup soft butter or margarine
oil for frying
- Mix the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and add the oil. Rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add water and mix to a fairly soft dough.
- Roll out on a floured surface and roll to the size of a 10 x 15 inch rectangle.
- Spread the dough with softened butter and roll it up like a Swiss roll.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave for 30 minutes.
- Break off pieces of dough and form into balls the size of tennis balls.
- Roll out each ball into a disc the size of a dinner plate.
- Fry in hot oil for 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately with a curry filling, or on the side